Engineering and R&D
Electro Saguenay has an engineering department specializing in research and development. Its mandate is to optimize our work methods as well as our equipment and tools in order to resolve numerous environmental and logistical challenges stemming from some of our most complex projects. This often involves inventing and manufacturing new tools, or adapting our vehicles and equipment.
As a result, Electro Saguenay owns many patents for specialized tools we have created over the years. A good example of such innovation is the invention, manufacturing and sale of our own fiber optics and multi-line winding pulleys which are much better adapted than those which were then sold on the market. Thanks to this invention, we have reduced our costs by half. Also, our pulleys are much easier to use by our workers. Today, we can proudly say that all of the telecommunication companies and even Hydro Quebec use the Comrol pulleys invented by Electro Saguenay.
Throughout the years, Electro Saguenay has had to take on many sizable challenges for complex projects located in regions with little or no access. This spearheaded Electro Saguenay into adapting and creating made to measure hydraulics and electrical systems. A good example of this type of innovation is the engineering, conception and manufacturing of made to measure gutters, allowing the insertion of fiber optics cables and multi line cables directly onto the structure of bridges and tunnels.
Here are a few other examples of creations from our engineering department to remedy to the fact that there was simply no equipment sold on the market to address specific challenges:
- The design and manufacturing of a specialized gutter with an adjustable positioning system allowing to safely sever an electrical cable located on top of energized power lines;
- The design and manufacturing of an electrical isolator installation support;
- The design and manufacturing of a specialized lifting mechanism for 735 KV current transformers under energized power lines;
- The design and manufacturing of an excavator mounted rock drill adaptor;
- The design and manufacturing of a foldable fiberglass ladder with hooks allowing for helicopter transport;
- The design and manufacturing of a foldable fiberglass ladder with rollers allowing for helicopter transport;
- The design and manufacturing of a foldable aluminium footbridge allowing for helicopter transport;
- The design and manufacturing of a fiberglass ladder extension avoiding the need to carry two ladders;
- The modification and improvement of radio controls for our digger derrick;
- The invention of a large lashing system capable of tying together 3 35KV electrical cables;
- The design and manufacturing of a digger derrick with an integrated gravel box;
- The design and manufacturing of a double reel stand able to support 30,000 pounds for our D6R tractor specialized in burying cables;
- The design and manufacturing of a system able to insert a fiber optic cable inside subsidiary ducts during the burying of cables;
- The design and manufacturing of customized truck bodies for our vehicle mounted aerial devices according to our linemen’s requirements.
Here are some pictures:
Item 1: Specialized gutter with adjustable positioning systemItem 2: Electrical isolator installation supportItem 3: Specialized lifting mechanism for 735 KV current transformers
Item 4: Excavator mounted rock drill adaptor
Item 5: foldable fiberglass ladder with hooks for helicopter transport
Item 6: Foldable fiberglass ladder with rollers allowing for helicopter transport
Item 7: Foldable aluminium footbridge for helicopter transport
Item 8: Fiberglass ladder extension avoiding the need to carry two ladders
Item 9: Radio controls for our digger derrick
Item 10: Large lashing system capable of tying together 3 35KV electrical cables
Item 11: Digger derrick with an integrated gravel box
Item 12: Double reel stand able to support 30,000 pounds for our D6R tractor
Electro Saguenay is currently working on developing a new invention which will soon revolutionize our work methods in one of our fields of business.
We have a team of specialists as well as all of the high-skilled equipment required to perform any modification to our machinery right here in our own maintenance building.
Our mechanical maintenance department is able to perform the electrical isolation (dielectric testing) on all of our insulated vehicle mounted aerial devices. We can also perform these tests for our customers.
Electro Saguenay is the only company in the province of Quebec who is entirely autonomous with respect to the maintenance, modification and manufacturing of all of its equipment. On one hand, this internal know-how allows us to generate savings for all of our customers in the fulfillment of their projects and the other hand, it allows us to save precious time with the preparation of our equipment. Our capacity for innovation also allows us to constantly improve our work methods and our tools in order to protect our employees against accidents and to optimize their work.
Electro Saguenay’s research and development department plays a key role in allowing us to set ourselves apart from the competition and to qualify as a totally unique enterprise.